Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell || Book Review

Hi Everyone!

After reading Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell, I was in the mood for more, so picked up Eleanor & Park. One of my friends loves this book and has been wanting me to read it for ages, and I'm so, so glad that I finally have!! I really enjoyed it and I hope some of you will consider picking it up! 




Eleanor has a mass of red hair, mismatched clothes and is the new girl in town. Park is the boy at the back of the bus who just wants to blend in. When they end up sitting next to each other on the bus, at first they ignore each other. 

But slowly, through late-night conversations, comic books and an ever-growing stack of mixtapes, they fall in love. 


Don't get tricked into thinking that this is a lovey-dovey romance. It really isn't. It has a romance element, but also deals with some very difficult topics in a really mature way. It is also set in the 80s, which gives it such a great atmosphere and the ending made me cry. Properly cry.

Eleanor's character was one I felt for so, so much. There are very much people like that at my school and in my life and reading this made me rethink the way that they are treated. I love how deep down she has a big heart and I love how she found Park. 

I feel like we don't get to see so much of Park, and I would have liked some of his storyline to be explored more. He is constantly trying to get his Dad's approval, and eventually starts to be himself despite his father's opinions. There is one point where (minor spoiler ahead) he wears make up and I would have liked for this to be explored further, especially in his Dad's reaction. 

I really fell in love with Eleanor and Park, just as they were falling in love with each other. It felt very real to me - very awkward and tentative!

I got so attached to the characters, but their families were what really got to me. The whole of Park's family I fell in love with and Eleanor....Eleanor broke my heart and stamped it all over the floor. 

Being set in the 80s, this book is a romance of mixtapes and comics, and the vibes are impeccable! I couldn't help but want to live in this world a little longer and want some mysterious boy on the bus to pass me a mixtape and read comics over his shoulder. 

As I said above, the ending made me cry. I think a mixture of happy and sad tears. It is a very bittersweet ending, but I think it's what the book needed. 

The start of this is a bit slow, but again, I think this is what the book needed because it makes you care so much about these characters and their romance, which is very much slow burn! It makes the ending and second half all the more important. 

I can't stop thinking about this book and the characters and everything - I can really see Eleanor and Park being a book I'll reread a lot. 


Around The Blogosphere: 

- Chick Who Reads Everything reviews Eleanor and Park, whilst talking about the potential issues with it - click here!

- Book Hugger Reviews shares her thoughts - click here!


I truly hope some of you will look into this book. Thank you so much for being here and I wish you very happy reading! 



Have you read this book? Do you want to? What do you think of the synopsis? What great books have you been reading recently?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

I am sat at my desk writing and the sun came out from behind a cloud and shined on my desk and my back, creating this beautiful light. I am so grateful for summer and sunshine and this moment just feels so special.

Comments

  1. I know it's a good book when I cry at the end. What a powerful review, Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I got so invested in these characters! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this book looks amazing ! I have already heard about it. Thank you for the recommendation, continue writing posts : I love reading your articles.
    Élise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check it out if you're interested! Thank you so much - that means a lot. Happy reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment