Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell // Book Review

Hi Everyone!

At the end of 2021, I read Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. I fell completely in love with it and couldn't wait to read the sequel. However, for some reason it took me until now to read it! In case you don't know, Carry On is written as the fanfiction that the main character in one of Rainbow Rowell's other books, Fangirl, writes. I read Fangirl last summer and loved it, but I think I prefer Carry On and Wayward Son now! 

This whole series is a bit of a reimagination of Harry Potter, but in my opinion better, with vampires and romances and American road trips! 

Also, yes, the ridiculously long reviews from me are back! I've missed blogging so much!

** Warning: minor spoilers for Carry On ahead. If you haven't read Carry On, please check it out and come back to this one afterwards! You can read my review of Carry On by clicking here! **



Synopsis: 

The story is supposed to be over.

Simon Snow did everything he was supposed to do. He beat the villain. He won the war. He even fell in love. Now comes the good part, right? Now comes the happily ever after…

So why can’t Simon Snow get off the couch?

What he needs, according to his best friend, is a change of scenery. He just needs to see himself in a new light…

That’s how Simon and Penny and Baz end up in a vintage convertible, tearing across the American West.

They find trouble, of course. (Dragons, vampires, skunk-headed things with shotguns.) And they get lost. They get so lost, they start to wonder whether they ever knew where they were headed in the first place…

With Wayward Son, Rainbow Rowell has written a book for everyone who ever wondered what happened to the Chosen One after he saved the day. And a book for everyone who was ever more curious about the second kiss than the first. It’s another helping of sour cherry scones with an absolutely decadent amount of butter.

Come on, Simon Snow. Your hero’s journey might be over – but your life has just begun. 

This was not quite as good as Carry On in my opinion, but a perfect sequel! It was a joy to be back with these characters and in this world that I grew to love so much in Carry On. This is a fantastic read for all Simon Snow fans and it has just made me need the next book in the series! 

I love how this book approaches the "what next". What happens after the happy ever after? We leave Simon in Carry On, having defeated the monster and happily in love. But what should he do now? This is where Wayward Son comes in.

Wayward son is less predictable and structured as Carry On. In Carry On, the world needs saving and everyone is aware of this. But how will Simon and his friends cope when no-one needs saving and the world is in relative peace? 

The romance element took a backseat in Wayward Son, but the relationship challenges still broke my heart. All I wanted was a happy ending - which I didn't really get in the way I wanted. But that's okay because I think it's how it's supposed to be, and I hope to get it in the sequel and final book in the trilogy, Any Way The Wind Blows. 

This book I've seen described several times as the "in between" for Carry On, the big opening and Any Way The Wind Blows, the grand finale. This book is perhaps quieter and more unresolved than the others. But that's what I quite liked about it! 

Simon, Baz, Penny and Agatha will always have a special place in my heart and I can't help but love them so much! Rainbow Rowell does such a great job of making these characters feel real and alive and like my friends. I feel like these characters are my friends. 

Also, Simon Snow with wings and a devil's tail? YES PLEASE!

I think I said this in my review of Carry On, but the whole way that this world is created and how it is thought out, the level of detail and Rainbow Rowell has gone into I love. I am also a huge fan of how this world is linked with the "Normals". I find it so believable, and what's the harm in believing in a little magic from time to time?

We are also introduced to a new character in Wayward son which bought a new dynamic and one that I really enjoyed. The whole vibe of this book and book series is just AMAZING! Is it weird to say that a book has a certain "vibe"? Maybe, but this book just makes me feel a certain way and I want to spend all my time tearing through America chasing vampires with Simon and Baz!

I have looked at a lot of fan art now and I LOVE IT. I want to frame some of it on my wall it is so beautiful. 

This is also one of those books that you should read the previous one in the series first, in this case Carry On. 

Overall, you can probably tell that I loved this book very much and I am beyond excited to read the final book one day (I think I'll put it off for as long as I can!). Simon Snow, you now have a very special place in my heart! 

Around The Blogosphere: 

- Den Of Geek - SPOILERY review and discussion - click here!

- Books Stacked - SPOILERS FOR CARRY ON review with some great thoughts - click here!

- Meeghan Reads - SLIGHT CARRY ON SPOILERS wonderful review - click here!


Okay, this review is ridiculously long! But please read this series, starting with Carry On, it's really worth it! 

Thank you so much for reading this post and I wish you very happy reading! 



Have you read Wayward Son or Carry On? Do you want to? 


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

The fact that I get to drive around a beautiful bay in the sun all summer and that the instructors I've been with have let me drive even if I don't have a permit, I've had another amazing week! 

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this sequel! Both books sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this sequel was a hit with me!! They really are, and I never thought I would say something like that about a fantasy style book!! Have a lovely week

      Delete

Post a Comment