[ARC] YA Review: How To Live Without You by Sarah Everett

Hi Everyone!

Welcome to another book review, although it's been a little while! Side note: I'm stopping my Friday posts because I'm very busy with school and so trying to manage everything, and it was only a temporary arrangement anyway, while I had a lot of spare time. Anyway, this was an ARC I read on holiday and I really enjoyed it. 


Release date: 17th May 2022

Synopsis:


In this heart-wrenching, coming-of-age story about family, grief, and second chances, seventeen-year-old Emmy returns home for the summer to uncover the truth behind her sister Rose's disappearance—only to learn that Rose had many secrets, ones that have Emmy questioning herself and the sister Emmy thought she knew.

 When her sister Rose disappeared, seventeen-year-old Emmy lost a part of herself. Everyone else seems convinced she ran away and will reappear when she's ready, but Emmy isn't so sure. That doesn't make sense for the Rose she knew: effervescent, caring, and strong-willed. So Emmy returns to their Ohio hometown for a summer, determined to uncover clues that can lead her back to Rose once and for all. But what Emmy finds is a string of secrets and lies that she never thought possible, casting the person she thought she knew best in a whole new light.

 Reeling with confusion, Emmy decides to step into Rose's life. She reconnects with their childhood best friend and follows in Rose's last known footsteps with heart-wrenching consequences.

 An honest and intimate look at sisterhood and the dark side of growing up, Sarah Everett's latest novel is a stunning portrayal of how you can never truly know the ones you love.


Overall, this was one of the best ARCs I've read so far. It was so gripping, had a great story line and I really connected with the characters. 

I was a little disappointed by the ending, mainly because there is this huge emotional build up with deep meanings and conversations and the last chapters fell a bit flat for me. It was like the author had given up and given in to the pressures of having a happy or at least hopeful ending. This is the reason for the 4.5 stars, but it didn't affect my opinion of the book as a whole and the message it gives out.

The character of Rose was just so well-crafted. She was fiery and outwardly happy and yet inwardly struggling and it's something I would love to see represented more. You can be outwardly happy and still struggle. 

The pacing was spot on and I found it a really engrossing read. I read it quickly and and cared so much about the characters. There are a few trigger warnings including suicide and divorce so make sure to check that out if you feel you need to. 

There is so much representation too of so many different people and lives, it was a joy to see.

I cried at this book, I laughed and the whole atmosphere and ideas....it was such a wonderful read! I don't really want to say much else but I really loved it and highly recommend picking it up! 

I hope some of you will give this book a chance and consider picking it up. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to be here and I hope you are all well. 

Happy reading!


Have you read How To Live Without You? Does it appeal to you? What do you like to see in a book?


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)


p.s. casual magic of the day:

(If you are new here and have no idea what I'm on about, click here to find out more)

,We went on a coastal walk and I saw this tiny butterfly that I'd never seen before! It was so sweet and a true moment of casual magic. What is your casual magic for today?

Comments

  1. I love an emotional book and especially love books about sisters. What a powerful review Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a sister and books about sister always make me feel closer to mine. A very emotional read, thank you, although I did struggle to write it a bit because it was a little while after I read it since I read it on holiday!

      Delete

Post a Comment