A Christmas Classic: Letters From Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkein

 Hi Everyone!

I hope you all had a magical Christmas! I believe that Christmas lasts a bit longer than just December 25th so today I wanted to tell you about a seasonal book I read just before Christmas. My parents had this on their shelves but had never read it and I'd heard about it on BookTube so I took it from them and read it for the first time this year.

I haven't read Lord Of The Rings yet but I would like to so this was my first introduction to Tolkein. It was so magical and whimsical, I just loved it! I ended up rating it four stars on Goodreads.



This is a collection of letters that Tolkein wrote to his children from Father Christmas. He told of the mischievous and troublesome goblins, accident-prone Polar Bear and the other creatures of the North Pole. The letters are also accompanied by illustrations and sketches and what I love about this edition is that it also has pictures of the letters, which just adds to the experience.

I also really enjoyed seeing how the letters progressed: from the first letters addressed to the first of Tolkein's children John to the ones in the middle addressed to all of them and the ones at the end to his last child Priscilla. The last letter was heart-breaking and the way the later ones reflect the war as well was so interesting.

Finishing this also means that I read all the books on my season TBR! I read A Christmas Carol earlier in the month and also reread This Winter and now I've finished this, I've completed the whole list! You can view that post by clicking here!

This was the perfect book to get me into the Christmas spirit and I definitely recommend for next year! 


Happy Reading!


Is it too late to say happy Christmas? Merry Christmas anyway!



Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments

  1. I also loved this book!
    When my mum first got it for me, I was a bit sceptical, but all of the stories in the letters are beautiful and I also really liked how they progressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard a lot about it on BookTube and now I really want to read Lord Of The Rings!

      Delete

Post a Comment