Christmas Reading Plans 🎄 | seasonal tbr

 Hi Everyone!

Seeing as it is so nearly December, today I wanted to share some of the books that I hope to read throughout the month and around Christmas time. Christmas is a season I love (I was going to say who doesn't and then remembered Scrooge!) and I've got a few books that I've been saving for it! I want to feel the Christmas magic through the books I read and I hope these will give me that! Maybe this will even give you some ideas for your own TBR (to be read)...


1. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

This is one of the most well-known Christmas books and I just have to read it! It is fairly short so not a too huge commitment and I think it will be perfect to get me into the Christmas spirit! There is a readalong of this happening on booktube, which I will maybe join in with, it just depends on how fast I get through it because I think the readalong schedule may be a little too fast for me but I'll wait and see! This is also on the GCSE syllabus so I will be studying this as some point next year!


2. This Winter by Alice Oseman

This will be a reread for me, again it's very short! This is a novella from Alice's debut novel Solitaire and her graphic novel Heartstopper. It is written from three perspectives: Tori, Charlie and Oliver. It is set on Christmas day and the struggles it brings for them. It has a few trigger warnings (such as eating disorders, so look it up if you want to know more) and I recommend reading Alice's other novels and graphic novels first, although this isn't necessary. I think this book will bring Christmas magic without making it seem fake or forced, as Christmas stories and movies often feel when everything is perfect and there is snow and laughter, when for some people Christmas is a really hard time of year and this book explores that, while keeping the spirit of the season and not being too depressing!


3. Letters From Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien

Ever wanted a handwritten letter from Father Christmas? J.R.R. Tolkien's children received one each year, complete with illustrations and stories of life in the North Pole. I haven't read any of Tolkien's books yet, but I am hoping to at some point. I actually found this book on my parents' bookshelves, they'd never read it so I took it as my own! I am expecting a book full of Christmas magic and I think it will be perfect to curl up with on Christmas Eve! This is one of those books that it just wouldn't feel right to read at any other time and I really want to get to it this year.


I'm still waiting on my copy of A Christmas Carol
 because I want a specific edition!


I'm trying to keep this TBR realistic and actually read all these books, obviously these aren't the only books I want to read- I always make the most of the holidays to read lots and there are quite a few other books I am hoping to read that aren't Christmas related and more book club picks so I will have PLENTY to keep my occupied during the holidays and beforehand, because I have quite a few exams and assessments coming up! 


I have a VERY exciting announcement coming on WEDNESDAY to this blog! I am slightly nervous about it and how it will all work out so I would really appreciate your support on that post! 

Let me know which books you are hoping to read for the Christmas season in the comments! I hope I've given you some ideas and if you have any recommendations as always, leave them in the comments too! Thank you so much for being here and is it to early to say Merry Christmas? Maybe in the next post...

Happy reading! 📚


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments

  1. Wonderful choices as always Z! I'm planning to add still further to your Christmas reading pile (but, as they say, reading's for life, not just for Christmas... so no rush to get through everything). Short stories are great for the festive period as they're easy to dip into between all the eating. A Christmas Carol is short for a Dickens book too, so that will be ideal. Personally, I'll be happy to have time to get through any of the wobbling pile of books on my bedside table. We'll be looking out for your announcement on Wednesday. Good luck with whatever that is! Keep up the blogging. We're all very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment