Diary Of A Young Naturalist by Dara McAnulty

 Hi Everyone!

I want to tell you about a truly magical book that I have just finished. It is a non-fiction which is a genre I don't read as much of. I really enjoyed it and I think that if you are fascinated by the great outdoors this is the book for you!

My Goodreads review:

Immersive, fascinating and just so special. This book has it all. I fell in love with Dara and his family. It inspired a new love for the natural world for me and it is a must read for anyone, especially if you love nature and the outside world. Amazing ❣️

I love how you get an insight into Dara's family life. Dara, his two siblings and his mum are all autistic and being outside is a safe space for them. The diary chronicles what being autistic feels like in a wonderful way. His descriptions of birds, plants and wildlife are just so immersive. You forget that you are sat in bed reading words on a page and feel like you are on the moors and in the parks of Northern Ireland observing the wonders of nature with the McAnulty's. 

It is definately a comfort read for me now because it offers such a huge escape. It is a book everyone needs to read and I can't stress that enough. It is a true gem of a book. It's got some of the best descriptions of the natural world I have ever read and that's not an exaggeration.

I realise I haven't talked much about the plot but there isn't much to say. It documents each season as well as a house move and campaigns. I love the hope the ending has and it made me so happy to read! 

I don't know what I say about this book that isn't a compliment...It does get a bit repetitive but to be honest I don't mind that at all. I just want to shout at you all to read this book until you do! 

It's so worth it and I think no matter who you are you can take something away from it.


If you are interested in the environment you can view my other blog I have with some friends at https://ourgreennatureworld.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. Wonderful Z! I'm so pleased you've read Dara's book. He's an incredible young man and should be an inspiration to us all. I've been following his adventure for years now. I'll let him know how much you've enjoyed his work. I've no idea how he managed it alongside his studies - and he has a new children's book coming out soon! Diary of a Young Naturalist is on L's reading pile for the next few weeks too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment