[ARC] YA Book Review: Rock Paper Killers by Alexia Mason

Hi Everyone!


Thank you to Netgalley and Simon & Schuster for allowing me access to this book in exchange of an honest review.




Release date: 17th February 2022

Official synopsis:

The brand-new addictive thriller that fans of Karen M. McManus and Holly Jackson will be DYING to read.
 
The ROCK she fell from . . .
The PAPER she clutched . . .
The KILLERS she thought were friends . . .
 
When five Dublin teenagers arrive at a rural coastal college to cram for their final exams, their most pressing concern is the prospect of a month with no partying. Little do they know that one of them will never make it back home . . .
 
A page-turning and gripping thriller with a shocking twist, Rock Paper Killers is perfect for fans of Riverdale, One of Us is Lying and We Were Liars.

 

You may be able to see why I requested this one: I love Karen. M. McManus and  Holly Jackson and this sounded like something I would definitely enjoy! 

Overall, this was a fantastic read. I love the fact that I had no idea who would die, no idea when they would die and no idea how until the end. It was only at 85% (I was reading on kindle!) through that I started piecing together what could happen. I got parts right but the rest I was well off! 

The start was quite slow and I am still deciding if I like that or not! I felt the introduction to the characters was a bit fast though because it took a while to understand who the characters were and what their family situations were. Once the main characters LB, Lockie, Kelly, Amber and Rupert arrived at their destination, it kicked off and became very chilling and suspenseful! 

All the ideas in this book are flawless. There are so many small things that are mentioned, you half forget about and then they come back round towards the end. It is a very clever book! The epilogue was so effective and left me with so many more questions!

I liked the Irish setting and as a British reader that was very interesting. I thought that the way the characters are bought together by staying at a summer camp to learn Irish was very skillful and again, as a British reader, that is something I haven't had the experience of.

The character of Amber was probably my favourite. She likes reading tarot cards, in fact it becomes a little obsessive, she is anxious and as a whole just very believable. I would have liked to have seen Rupert's character developed more but LB had a great story line. 

I love that this book made me question each of the characters and that it didn't give you all the answers, which just added to how chilling it was. I still don't know exactly what happened and who to blame. Or if there should be someone to blame!

It is interesting how this book is not written from multiple perspectives but does still change the viewpoint. It got slightly confusing in places but once I was used to it switching it was fine! 

I definitely recommend this for fans of Karen. M. McManus, although it is a thriller and not a murder mystery so you don't actually see the how the crime was committed, only the build up to it. It definitely has a very similar vibe to One Of Us Is Lying though!


Rating: 




Thank you so much for being here!



Let's chat!

Have you read this? Have you read One Of Us Is Lying or A Good Girl's Guide To Murder? Do you think you would like this?

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on my reviews by clicking here! Your support is very much appreciated :)

Comments