The Picture Of Dorian Gray By Oscar Wilde- review

 Hi Everyone,

Today I wanted to share a recent read, The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. I completely fell in love with this and I can't wait to discover more of his work. The Picture Of Dorian Gray is actually his only novel which is a shame because I would have loved there to be another one! 

In case you don't know, this novel is about Dorian Gray who has a portrait painted of him (obviously, considering the title!) but in a spur of the moment exclamation he wishes it could age in his place. Then begins his downfall. He has a lover, an unhealthy friendship and does many things that are pretty atrocious and gets into a bad place he basically never gets out of.

It is a really interesting late-Victorian perspective on mental health from a man so far ahead of his time. If you haven't seen my other post about Oscar Wilde's quote book 'Only Dull People Are Brilliant At Breakfast' then you can see it here! 

I think the reason I enjoyed this is that it is so unique and just fascinating. His language is fairly accessible and I think can be enjoyed by all. I am glad, however, that I waited until I had read other classics before reading this because I really loved it and understood most of it. The descriptions are just beautiful and one of the reasons I now love classics is their use of language to create such vivid images in your mind and Dorian Gray definately does that.

It also has a wealth of quotes, mainly spoken by Dorian Gray's friend Lord Henry. He speaks with such beauty; it is stunning. Although I found a few of these difficult to understand, I found that by taking my time, I made the most of the reading experience. 

Overall, it was a wonderful book to get stuck into and I really enjoyed it!

Of course, I have the beautiful Penguin English
Library Edition! My collection is ever-growing!

Comments