Carnegie Reading Challenge 2020!

 Hello,

This year our school book club was all the books shortlisted and the winner of the Carnegie medal. I read some of them this term (we had to stop because of lockdown) and I am now going to share them, enjoy!

Patron Saints Of Nothing by Randy Ribay

This was a very interesting read that I loved! It is all about the drug war in the Philipines. It is something I didn't know anything about before so I found it really interesting. 

When Jayson gets the news that his cousin, Jun, has died because of drugs, he refuses to believe it. He does some research and finds out about Duterte and the drug war. He manages to convince his parents to let him go to the Philipines, where he meets lots of people and finds out more about his cousin and the rest of his family. He is determined to find the truth, but that isn't easy when Jun's dad literally erased him from their lives. He befriends Mia and gets closer to Grace, Jun's sister, who help him on his journey. 

It is such a powerful and heartbreaking book but I adored it and I have found out more about the drug war which is so interesting.

On The Come Up by Angie Thomas

The next book I didn't get to read as someone from another group hadn't given their copy back and then it was half term. One person from my group would therefore get it on the first Monday back. I volunteered seeing as I read a lot already and other people in my group don't necessarily. Also, if I had got the book on the Monday I could maybe have managed to read it for Thursday when the club is. But as it was, I didn't get it on Monday and none of the people in my group enjoyed it anyway. That isn't to say it isn't good, I don't know and I would have liked to make up my own mind but I can't as now it has to go to another group. So not a very reliable review- sorry!

Nowhere On Earth by Nick Lake

This book was a bit controversial in my mind as at the start I didn't enjoy the mix of real and supernatural elements but by the end I was enjoying the book. I wouldn't say it beats Patron Saints Of Nothing but it was quite good. I love the cover artwork on this book but as I said, it didn't live up to my expectations.

Emily and her 'brother' Aidan are running away from something. But what and why? When their plane crashes, they find themselves alone with the pilot, who becomes a friend. They have to survive in the freezing mountains of Alaska. But can they get to the HARRP facility to send a message, or do they need some extra help? And can they make it alive?

The ending was so heart-warming and so beautiful. It tells of a love so powerful and how even though your parents can get mad and be very boring, they know how to have fun and treat you too. 

The Journey Of Orpheus Black in the Underworld

This is a book that reminded me of the beauties of the world and the stunning natural environments that surround us. The fact that it is set in wartime England gives a view on what life was like then; they didn't have to worry about a virus but they did need to worry about bombs and fighter planes. The illustrations in this book enhance the reading experience and I loved it!

The book is told in the diary papers of Harry Black, punctuated by beautiful poems written by a mysterious character who's identity you are left guessing until the end. The illustrations are somewhat supernatural but wonderful all the same. It is a tale of brotherhood and the bonds of family. It is a tale of determination to find a loved one and belief that they are alive. It is a must read for anyone who wants to get a different look at WW2 and it was funny to read it now, I couldn't help comparing it to our current COVID-19 situation. Aren't we all just as scared as in the war? At least this time you can do minor things to prevent it...

Lark by Anthony McGowan

This was a big disappointment for me as it won the award this year and I expected more of it. I read it so quickly and it was okay but there were several things that I didn't like. First of all, it was way too predictable. They go for a walk on the moor and they get lost: big surprise! It was just a bit deja vu. Secondly, the introduction was so short and I wanted to get to know the characters more before their 'adventure'. I think it is part of a series so perhaps I would have enjoyed it more as part of that but anyway, I wanted more of the 'normal life'. I wanted more detail, description and generally more from the book. I also thought for a while that the narrator was a girl, which I think would have fitted the characteristics better. I feel like a loving and protective sister would have been nicer and more realistic. I liked the idea of an autistic (I think!) brother but I felt that the execution of it wasn't great. It just didn't rise to my hopes and other books I have read about autistic people (such as The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time by Mark Haddon) have been better. It also seemed to me that it would appeal to younger readers more. 

The story is about a boy who goes on a walk in the moors with his autistic brother to see the larks. But it starts snowing and they get lost. They have to try and find their way back. But there are some complications. And to be honest that is all I can say without spoilers...


Lampie by Annet Schaap

This is a beautiful tale that I wasn't very sure about at first. Here is my Goodreads review: 



This was a very enjoyable read and it is a shame it isn't my own book! Anyhow, the storyline is interesting, captivating and mysterious. The characters are fun, lovable and realistic. The whole book is imaginative and creative and just a true gem.
 

And I don't know how to praise it much more than that! It tells the intriguing story of Emilia, also known as Lampie. Her Father is the lighthouse keeper but he spends a lot of time drinking and as he only has half a leg, finds it hard to climb the lighthouse steps to the lamp at the top. So he depends on Emilia to do a lot of that. In fact, all of it. 

But this is exposed through an event that changes both their lives and Emilia is sent to live at the house of an admiral. She meets Martha the housekeeper and her son Lenny. She also comes to the acquaintance of Nick. But they are the only inhabitants of the house for a very good reason. Rumor has it there is a monster in the tower. She soon has to face her fear and confront it. But maybe monsters aren't all they seem...

The last chapters are heart-racing and just amazing. I think this is a book similar in ways to Malamander but of course still unique. So if you read and enjoyed Malamander then you may enjoy this.



I can't carry on with this as book club has been stopped as I am not going to school. This is really sad so I can't complete this post. If we go back to school before next year and if they decide it is safe enough to do book club I will publish a part two. 

Thank you and I hope you are all staying safe!


Side Note: I can't include photos for this post because I get each book for two weeks only and they all have plastic covers so there is a glare or reflection when I try to take a photo. Sorry!

Comments

  1. What a great variety of books you have read - and your comments and observations are so well-written and therefore very readable. It's such a shame that your school book club is (temporarily, I hope) closed but well-done to the school for having such an active group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Z! What a lot of books and so varied. It's such a shame that you couldn't read them all and that your clubs are on hold, but we're all enjoying your blogs and they're giving L ideas for what to try next. Keep up the fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment