Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell- discovering another Gaskell novel

 Hi Everyone!

If you saw my Victober wrap up post then you will know that I read and absolutely adored North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. So, I recently purchased Cranford. However, as it is out of print in the edition I love (Penguin English Library) I managed to find it second hand on amazon. 

I loved it so, so, so much! It just makes me want to read more Gaskell! She was a GENIUS! Reading Cranford was amazing and it is a book I think I will love forever. Then comes a HUGE debate. Do I prefer Cranford or North and South? Honestly, I don't know! They were both so incredible so I really can't choose! 

Cranford is so unique and it is a society I think I will dive back into. I liked how the book was written in distinct parts as it was originally published as installments in a magazine. The ending bought it all  together and it was so uplifting. 

It is the tale of a truly unique society dominated by women. The community is very independent of the outside world. You follow the narrator and her friends, especially Miss Matty, as they go through their day to day life. The narrator doesn't live in Cranford but comes to visit Miss Matty. Throughout the novel, the characters face bereavement, confrontations with the past and a bank collapse. 

 There is, of course, much more but I don't want to spoil anything if you haven't read it. But if you haven't then you definately should! I feel like whatever I say will not do it justice as I loved it so much. There are lots of very powerful moments and I just think it is so amazing!

My edition of Cranford

As you can tell, unlike the more recent releases, this one has a shiny cover but still the same amazing artwork by Coralie Bickford-Smith, who designs lots of the penguin books.

Thank you so much for reading this and I will be back soon!

Comments

  1. I really like these books too, must get them out and read them again! X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment